Monthly Archives: July 2017

Temporary Place of Work

Before you walk on pass this post, it affects the employed and self-employed.

The ability to claim travel costs to this workplace depends on how long you have been going there, and also the proportion of your income that job brings in for you.

Have a squizz at the video , and feel free to contact us if you have any questions.


Small Trader Relief

A new tax allowance was introduced from April 2017 that not many people know about, so if you have a small amount of self employed income or even rental income, you may want to make use of it for 2017/2018 – I know, jumping ahead, but you will need to keep appropriate records. What is this new allowance? I hear you say. Listen up



Lost P45 or P60

I was going to make a play on words about the Lost Boys in Peter Pan, but could not think of anything.

As people start to prepare their tax return, the call on self employed income & expenses can be time consuming. But, you need to also declare your employed income if you had any. If you have had several jobs, then tracing your P45 and then any final P60’s can be a nightmare, so don’t leave this until the last minute.

Can’t find your P45 or P60? Oopsie – this may help.



Payment on Account

Why do I have to pay an amount of tax for next year now?

Why is my bill so high?

This 90 second video hopefully explains the payment on account situation and why/how it comes about.


Essentials of transcript:

HMRC would like every person to be employed and paying tax on a monthly basis. The self-employed don’t get the opportunity to do that and they pay their taxes on the 31st of January, which means HMRC can wait mainly up to 18 months to get their money. The decision was made many years ago that, for the self employed, if they owe HMRC more than a £1000 of income tax & class 4 National Insurance, then they have to pay a further  50% as a payment on account at the same time paying the main tax bill. On the 31st of January, not only are you settling the in year tax bill, you’re also paying 50% of the same amount as a payment on account for the following year.

However, it doesn’t end there. What you also need to do is pay a further 50% of your in year tax bill on the 31st of July. So therefore effectively you’ve paid 100% of your potential tax bill ahead of when you actually have to file it. The good news is though, if you file following year your tax return early you will discover whether you have to make the July payment on account and potentially you could get the money back. When you do pay the following years tax bill, you need to remember to offset the payment on account already made, as HMRC won’t remind you of this.