Are your students ready for the big bad world of tax?


All too frequently students leave the conservatoires, drama colleges and universities, go into a performance or teaching role with no real practical idea of how to deal with the tax man. They may not have registered with HMRC as being a self employed person and then it comes a bit of a shock when they find that they should have done tax returns, and fines are accruing.

The students in year 2 and 3 need practical guidance in how to register for self assessment and obtain their unique tax reference number in order to complete tax returns as a self employed person. Telephone research at the main music conservatoires confirmed that over 90% of students leaving were employed either as teachers or as performers either on stage, in an orchestra or other musical ventures.

The service I offer is to run a 90 minute seminar with the students in order to take them through the responsibilities they have as self employed workers, receipts and invoices that need to be kept and accounting for, expenses that can be claimed as part of themselves as a business as well as links in order to set up correctly. People walk away from the seminar with handouts from the talk as well as my printed publication A performer’s guide to trimming your tax bill.

What makes me different?

I trained as a singer on the English National Opera ‘The Knack’ program when it first started, and I still work as a singer as well as an Accountant to the West End. I therefore understand what the students go through in terms of keeping their creativity and performance ability to it’s peak and not letting the stresses of life (and tax) take over.

Please leave your details in the box on the right and we’ll contact you in order to arrange a longer call to discuss how we can help you and your students.


Of course, you can call us on 01344 669084.